Hardware recommendations

Forums Forums Installation and Setup Hardware recommendations

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  todflak 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

todflak
    Participant

(I see there was a similar question last year, but that was not answered.)

I am putting together a new computer, and I specifically want to improve the speed of svreg processing. Would svreg be able to take advantage of many cores/threads?? I am considering an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 Cores, 16 Threads) versus one of the AMD Threadripper processors (32 cores / 64 threads). My overall question is: will a single svreg process take advantage of all those many cores, to complete the registration much more quickly?

Any other advice on hardware selection is appreciated!

-Tod Flak

Anand Joshi

Hi Tod,
    SVReg definitely makes use of available cores. So for surface registration, it processes 2 cortical hemispheres on 2 separate threads. During volume registration, whenever possible, it processes 3 coordinates on 3 threads.
    Moreover, each of the separate threads use multiple CPUs during various operations such as conjugate gradient minimization and interpolations.

So yes, the more cores, the better it is for SVReg processing.

Additionally, you can also process multiple subjects simultaneously if you have computing power.

The system you mention is definitely great (both).

todflak
    Participant

Thanks for that!
    -Tod

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.