Brainsuite vs Freesurfer

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      leonidastra86
      Participant

I wrote a publication using brainsuite for my analysis. Although it was very positively accepted, one of the reviewers asked me to validate the results with freesurfer as it is (according to his opinion) the standard program for surface based analysis and brainsuite ist outdated.

What is your opinion?
      What are the pros and the cons, comparing the two softwares?

Anand Joshi

Hi Leon, Thank you for using BrainSuite and I am glad that your study was positively received.
      I would answer by saying that BrainSuite release is relatively frequent (approximately every 6 months). The latest release has been Feb 19, this year. I think this is more frequent than other competing software. I doubt it can be called outdated due to that reason. Additionally, the interactive GUI and fast processing speed allow rapid experimentation and visualization.
      Unless there is some feature that is needed for the study, that is not in BrainSuite, it is unclear why a switch is needed, especially since the results of the analysis seem to be not as expected. But the reviewers seem to like them.

Usually, most researchers and different labs have their favorite software and pipelines. The user base of BrainSuite is quite large and is growing.

Additionally, we as developers and maintainers of the software are ready to support and enhance the software.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Anand Joshi.
      leonidastra86
      Participant

Thank you for your response, I agree with you.
      However I do need your help to come out of the problem. Are there advantages in the analysis of subcortical structures with brainsuite?
      What makes Brainsuite a better solution, except for the time needed to analyse a patient?

Anand Joshi

One of the unique features of BrainSuite is that the volumetric registration used is ‘surface constrained volumetric registration’. This means that during the registration process, cortical surface and subcortical structures are aligned simultaneously leading to a consistent registration.
      Another unique feature is that the cortical thickness analysis used in BrainSuite uses computation of cortical thickness using partial tissue fraction information.
      For the subcortex, the total volumes of various structures, as well as gray matter and white matters, are reported in detail by BrainSuite. I am not aware of any other functionality that other software has and is missing in BrainSuite for structural analysis.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.